Durags,two syllabic words yet stylish, sexy and cliché. They were worn by black women in the early 1900s in the Afro American Society at first before evolving and finding it’s way into the fashion communities of the world.
Earlier on, Durags were negatively used to portray the attitude of gangsters, thugs and in connectivity with other social vices. Originally, it originated as a harmless simple wear used for packing and keeping hair curls in place.
Although, it’s originally an African American thing, it has found it’s way back into the African society where Durags are made with Ankara materials and in African colors. Durags have become a fashion trend and are used by celebrities both male and female to compliment their looks. They are suitable for almost every occasion except maybe formal meetings. However, You can still find people on formal Clothing such as suits tying a Durag.
Ankara Durags can be worn on matching Ankara outfits, stylish semi-formal and casual clothing. It is sometimes complimented with some fashion accessories which includes earrings, sunglasses and other accessories of your choice.
How to tie a Front tie Durag.
• Ensure that the hair is well packed or braided then turn the Durag invertedly and place on your head.
• Tie the Durag smoothly along your forehead and smoothen the rumpled edges.
• Aline the center part of the Durag on a straight line to your nose.
• Take the ties of the Durag in both hands and pass it along your ear to the back.
• Cross the Durag ties from the back and pass it to the front. Here, knot the tie in an X shaped form. You can decide to fold in the ties of the Durag or leave to fall freely after the knot.
• Always use a mirror for best results and endeavor to smoothen and tuck in the hair properly.
In Addition to this, there are other method to tying a Durag.They include:
Side Tie Durag: This method is similar to the above steps in tying a Front Tie Durag. The only difference is, instead of the Durag being knotted in front, it’s knotted on either side of the head.
Bandana Method : You can do these by folding the Durag and leaving a triangular part to be wrapped on the head.
Furthermore,Durags can also be worn freely without tying or being knotted.
Durags are really fashionable and is a trend you should certainly try out.